Friday, June 4, 2010

Caldecott, book 3 of 5, #518

"The Three Pigs" by author David Wiesner is the 2002 recipient of the Caldecott Medal. He takes a new twist on the old classic three pigs story. The idea is: if we let the pigs decide what happens to them in the story, let's see how they play it out.

While creative and fun, I kind of miss the old classic and feel a bit fussy about someone messing with it. I realize that it is all in good fun but I miss the sage lessons from the ancient and honorable classic. In asking myself why the tinkering of the original bothers me, I think it's because the story was such a familiar one. It was a favorite among my childhood pile of books.

To me, messing with a classic tale is like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. It's meant in jest but it comes across as a nice try that doesn't quite meet the mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment