Monday, June 21, 2010

Dr. Seuss book 2 of 2, The Lorax, #518

I really did not like this book. It amazes me to learn that "The Lorax" was the author's favorite book.

Here is what I disliked. First, part of the author's charm was in his ability to SUBTLY convey morals and meanings to kids through his books. "The Lorax" is hardly nuanced, hardly subtle. It practically screams environmentalism over capitalism! Whether you agree or disagree with the political overtones, the fact remains: this book has a loud, and not-so-subtle, political message directed at children. Second, the book has a kind of an ivory-towered, didactic, holier-than-thou tone. It just isn't likable. The book's didactic tone comes across as slightly irritating. Third, I felt that the author's writing was circuitous; he doesn't get to the point. I think that most kids would be confused by the plot and slightly suspicious of his uncharacteristic tangential ramblings.

I felt discontent after reading this book; perhaps it is because I am used to Dr. Seuss's subtle, fun style--rather than his overt, serious tone that this book conveys. In addition, I hated the title. I mean, "The Lorax" sounds like an old-fashioned children's medicine that you would find in your grandma's musty linen closet...like a bitter throat lozenge that she would slide down your throat when you are sick!

After finishing the book, I felt the same mild annoyance that I feel when I read that Irish rock star Bono has pontificated, on the international scene, about globalism or American politics. It is perfectly acceptable for private citizens, and that includes artists of all kinds, to speak their minds. However, I want Bono--who is an uneducated entertainer--to sing great Irish songs, and I want Dr. Seuss--a children's writer--to write whimsical children's books. Is that so wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment